Search This Blog

Monday, July 29, 2013

St. Padre Pio Photo Album Part 3


This photo shows a number of children greeting Padre Pio on the day of their first Holy Communion. Padre Pio had a great hunger for the Eucharist. He spent long hours before Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament, sometimes whole nights. He would say to those who asked for his prayers, "I will ask Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament when I am near the tabernacle."




Padre Eusebio Notte, Padre Pio's secretary, described the wounds in Padre Pio's hands as "deep, real, and resistant to every therapy." At times, they emitted a beautiful fragrance. Padre Eusebio also saw the wound in Padre Pio's side. This occurred one day when he was helping Padre Pio change his shirt. "I will never be able to forget his gashed chest," Padre Eusebio said.




"In this time of great sadness, when so many souls are abandoning their faith in God, I cannot be persuaded that one can live the true life, without the food of strength, the Holy Eucharist. . . "

-St. Pio of Pietrelcina




"I love my spiritual children as much as my own soul and even more. I have regenerated them to Jesus through suffering and love."

- St. Pio of Pietrelcina




Padre Pio receives ashes at the beginning of Lent. He said, "I am seeking the amendment of my life, my spiritual resurrection, true and substantial love, the sincere conversion of my whole self to Him."




Padre Pio's spiritual child, Beniamino Valente, presents him with the traditional Italian cake, "Panettone," on Christmas day. Padre Pio loved the holy season of Christmas and always looked forward to it with great anticipation. He said, "My mother Mary, take me with you to the grotto of Bethlehem and allow me to fall deeply into contemplation of what is about to take place during the stillness of this great and beautiful night."




Father Pellegrino accompanying Padre Pio as he blesses a group of seminarians. Padre Pio said, "The finest grace that can be asked on behalf of those who aspire to the spiritual life is an increase of heavenly light. This is a light which cannot be acquired either by prolonged study or through human teaching, but which is directly infused by God."




"Brothers and sisters, I knew Padre Pio. There was nothing more in his face than simple humanity. But his eyes were beautiful; they were the eyes of an angel. This means that his soul was simple as a child's."

- Cardinal Corrado Ursi




"It is sufficient for us to know that God is our God and that our heart is His home."

- St. Pio of Pietrelcina




"I wish to thank the Lord for having given us dear Padre Pio, for having given him to our generation in this very tormented century. In his love for God and for his neighbor, he is a sign of great hope."

- Pope John Paul II




Padre Pio and his brother, Michael Forgione, take a moment of rest in the monastery garden. The two shared a relationship of deep love and loyalty. Michael used to attend his brother's 5:00 am Mass in the friary church of Our Lady of Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment